How to Turn Jamaican Children into Mindless Sheep
November 4, 2007
and make our educational system into a mockery…
1. Put people like Esther Tyson in charge of our children’s educational development.
2. Give her a national platform where she uses her status of Principal of a highly regarded high school to promote her religious beliefs, knowing that few will question her. Jamaicans, after all, are suckers for elitist behavior, and people of such status dictating what we should do. She knows it. We all know it.
3. Allow her to write as if her agenda is inherently more noble, righteous or legitimate than the “homosexual agenda” that she claims is at work simply because American rightwing and religious fundamentalists said so, and that’s what she’s been brainwashed by. Again, she knows that Jamaicans don’t give a hoot about evidence; why? That’s easy. We have been educated under regimes governed by Esther Tysons, where we have been taught not to think or question received knowledge. Esther clearly demonstrates and supports the view that if one thinks it and claims it, then it must be right, valid and sanctioned by God.
4. Allow her to claim that the viewpoint of The Church of God of Jamaica, a fundamentalist denomination that is so reactionary, puritannical and sexist, they rival or come quite close to the Taliban, is representative of Judeo-Christian theology.
5. Accept her logic that since heterosexuality has been normalized as an institution (ie. enforced through law and cultural values) in Jamaica thus far, it would be somehow unthinkable to question that repressive setup at this moment in time.
6. Accept her argument that her particular religious views – as perverted and biased as it is – should be the basis for how our ostensibly democratic society should be governed, and the views that all of us should be held hostage to, no matter how ridiculous, anti-human or intolerant to social justice.
7. Allow her to use the party line of right-wing fundamentalism and pass it off as her own. That is, using established rhetorical tricks to demonize human beings by drawing unsavory comparisons between them and animals, helps to show her contempt and to justify their subordination.
8. Allow her to ignore evidence that does not support her ideological position, to misrepresent historical material, and to pass off her thinking as logical, informed and concern for all of us.
9. Allow her to position herself and her argument as “right”, where her plea that “we as a people need to think for ourselves” really means, agree with and accept her point of view, along with its consequences.
11. Allow her to misuse language (e.g. “ideal”, “spurious”, “objectivity”, “bias”, “morality”, etc.) and to mangle, misconstrue and misrepresent social scientific knowledge to serve her own political interests.
12. Allow her to promote her argument on the assumption that the questions that she asks of those “other agendas” should and cannot not be asked of hers.
13. Allow her to usurp her role as an educator, and to abuse her authority by using the school as her political platform ie. to proselytize our children, and to coerce them to accept her worldview.
14. Allow her to show her fundamentalist, uninformed, miseducated, anti-intellectual backside in public, and then let her keep her position as Principal, on the basis that “she took a stance for what is right”.
15. Hire people like her and give her authority to provide a warped, prejudiced, anti-intellectual and moralistic foundation to make sure our children can’t reason their way out of a paper bag.
Our schools should be educating, not indoctrinating, our children. If only I were the Minister of Education or the Prime Minister…